Are you interested in Language study?

What is it like in the language study in your country? Were you satisfied with the language education system? Have you ever wondered why we have to study language?

I pick up a language education system of Japan for an example and think and talk about general (or personal?) ideal for language study while pointing out some problems in it.
Although I chose Japan for model, I will talk about those of the other countries as well. Therefore, if you tell me your own experience of language education, it would be great help for me!

Tuesday 30 October 2007

Visual speech –baby’s amazing ability-

I found interesting article about a baby’s language ability in early stage. I post this because it may be related to my first topic, “A problem in current language education system in Japan”.

A writer reports baby’s notable bilingual ability named “visual speech” with which babies are able to tell languages apart by speaker’s facial movements.
However, according to a research, the ability seems to be getting lost after around four month unless they use it often, because listening ability would become more important factor.

I think this research implies a lot of possibilities for education in early times. Even though I’m not saying that we should teach languages hard to babies, this fact of existence of their ability in early stage seems to tell us that we should take advantage of leaning languages in early time.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

I totally agree with that it's easy to learn language at early age. For examplem, my brother, who is 7 years old, was in NZ 2 years ago. He didn't speak English at all when he first came here however about 3 months later he can understand what his teacher said and he could speak whatever he wants quite well. i think the best advantage of learing language at early age is to get a good pronunciation. Adults got used to pronuncing their own language so that it is too difficult to pronunce properly second language for them.